North Shore of Oahu – Sunset Beach
I loved frolicking on the North Shore of Oahu! We visited Sunset Beach on the North Shore. And, boy, was it spectacular! It’s a great Oahu Beach to watch big-wave surfers in action during the wintertime. However, we were there during the start of summer, so the waves weren’t as big as they are during the winter time.
The sand was filled with shells and the water was so blue! Truly a beautiful sight! There was also the cutest little dog (that was definitely accustomed to the beach life) digging in the sand. I was mesmerized by him!
His owner (a little girl who looked about 13) was swimming in a small shallow cove next to the beach and she would call out to him to come and pick up the coconuts she was attempting to catch from the waves. And the little guy would happily jump into the ocean and retrieve the coconut debris, and then bring them excitedly back to the shore and bury them in the sand.
To me (a huge dog lover!), it was truly an amazing and super cute sight! Though his little head and nose were full of sand, you could tell he was really having the best day! I hope everyone is having as wonderful a day as this cute little beach doggie digging in the sand!
But above all, visit Sunset Beach for its name and reputation…when the sun is setting! The beach truly lives up to its name.
Dress: love this lil’ floral dressy!
Directions By Car From Waikiki
- Take the H-1 Hwy West to the H-2 Hwy North
- Follow the H-2 Hwy to the Kamehameha Hwy (hwy 99)
- Take Hwy 99 and continue into Haleiwa Town
- or by pass Haleiwa Town , and continue on Hwy 99 and merge onto Hwy 83, which will lead you to the coastline.
- As you continue on Hwy 83, until you see a Sunset Beach State Park sign on your left hand side.
- Turn into the parking lot and you are there.